Priestley Management Company is closely watching the forecasted temperatures for the coming week. It is predicted that the lows throughout the Carolinas will dip below 20 degrees starting on Friday, December 24, 2022. With low predicted temperatures comes increased potential of broken pipes and other hazards associated with freezing temperatures. Below are some tips that can help prevent your pipes from potentially freezing:
- Always keep your heat on with the thermostat set no lower than 55 degrees.
- Drain and disconnect garden hoses.
- Install covers on outside faucets.
- If water supply lines are in the garage, keep your garage door shut.
- Let cold water trickle from faucet to keep water flowing.
- Cover or close open-air vents.
- Insulate outdoor pipes.
- Open all cabinets and doors to allow circulation of warm air to reach pipes.
- Learn how to shut off water valves in the event of a pipe burst.
In the event you experience a freezing pipe, below are some tips on how identify and thaw your pipe:
- If you turn on your faucet and only a trickle comes out, it could be attributed to a frozen pipe. Likely places include against exterior walls or where your water service enters your home through the foundation.
- Keep the faucet open. As you treat the frozen pipe and the frozen pipe begins to thaw, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
- Apply heat to the section of pipe using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, or portable space heater(kept away from flammable materials), or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water.
- Do not use a blowtorch, kerosene, propane heater, charcoal stove, or other open flame device.
- Apply heat until the water pressure is restored. If you cannot locate the frozen area, contact a licensed plumber
If you experience an Association related emergency after hours, please contact one of our offices as noted below:
- Greensboro/Winston Salem offices-336-379-5007 option 3
- Wilmington office- 910-509-7276 option 3
As a reminder, if you are experiencing a life threating emergency, please dial 911.
Finally, please note that Priestley Management Company will be closed on the following dates:
- Friday, 12/23/22-Closing at 1:00PM
- Monday, 12/26/22-Closed
- Tuesday, 12/27/22-Closed
- Monday, 1/2/23- Closed